Tuesday, June 10, 2008

Na Na Hey Hey - Goodbye

“There’s a sad sort of clanging from the clock in the hall, and the bells in the steeple too, and up in the nursery an absurd little bird is popping out to say cuckoo - cuckoo, regretfully it tells us, but firmly it compels us to say goodbye to you...”

These words are ringing in my ears. They greet me when I wake up. They fly in at random times - even during pit stops. They are playing in the background of my mind right now as I type. They remind me of my mother. The Sound of Music was our favorite movie. We saw it five times which might not sound like much, but we didn’t have VCRs or DVDs back then. We saw all 2 hours and 54 minutes of it five 5 times in the theater.

I might wonder if I am “cuckoo - cuckoo”, but I know better. Of course I've always been cuckoo (and not even for coco puffs.) But thankfully I am not insane (anymore.) The cuckoo ringing in my ears isn’t even my mother haunting me. It’s the sound of me saying “so long - farewell”.

Mr. Einstein would be proud of me. It took me a while, but I finally gave up my insanity. I’ve officially stopped doing the same thing over and over again expecting a different result. (For the history on my mental illness you can read my blogs on May 27 and April 27 .)

On Saturday I turned over a much anticipated - too long in the making - new leaf. The official announcement follows...

Announcing the Newest Member of Our Family
He was brought into our world on...
06/07/2008 at 2:30pm
Weight 5.0 lbs
Measurements 2.78 x 8.92 x 1.08 inches

His given name was MacBook, but In honor of the "mid-husband"
who helped bring him into this world he has been renamed:


"Johnny Apple Zeed" (nicknamed Jaz)

He has two proud Godmothers who also assisted in the birthing process.
We are still learning how to parent him. But he isn’t a bit colicky. There are no crashes, no blue screens, no reboots, no locked keyboards. He is compatible with the other devices in our household and basically he is joy to be around
(obviously he takes after his new mom!)


So “so long farewell, na na hey hey goodbye” to my friends at Dell and Microsoft in Austin, Canada, India, and Jamaica. I’m walking out of the gates of hell (or as I’ve come to know it - Gates’ hell) and into the garden of eden where the Apple trees are in full bloom.

2 comments:

julieandtheboys said...

The boys and I watched the Sound of Music tonight in celebration of your fond farewell to your computer. Once the kissing stopped and the Nazis stepped in, the boys really liked it!!!

May D. Cember said...

You are funny. My mind never went there. I bet they really likee the part when the nuns took the alternators(?) out of the cars and everybody hid behind the tombstones. I still get tense during that part. But I must admit, my favorite is when Capt. Von Trap gets choked up singing Edelweiss and Maria steps in to sing with him. I get teary thinking about it right now!